Use of Funds:
- To foster research within the SPP by providing funds to young investigators in the
field of pediatric pathology.
- To fund a pilot project which will lead to long-term research support from other
The funds are to be used to facilitate basic or applied research by a young investigator in the field of pediatric pathology. Research into any aspect of pediatric disease will be considered, including morphological, biochemical, behavioral, physiological, genetic, and epidemiological studies. Appropriate expenditures include capital equipment, reagents and supplies, research-related travel, salary supplementation, service costs (e.g., electron microscopy, histology), and animal care costs. Indirect costs are not allowed.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
Amount of Award:
- hold the degree of MD, PhD, DDS, DVM, or DO;
- be a resident or fellow, full-time, in an accredited pathology training program, OR be a post-doctoral fellow working in the laboratory of a faculty/staff person in pediatric pathology, OR be a faculty/staff person in pediatric pathology practicing in his or her first academic appointment at the level of instructor or assistant professor for 7 years or less;
- be a member of the SPP OR be sponsored by a member of the SPP.
A single annual award of $15,000 will be made.
Complete applications must be received by the Research Committee Chair no later than 11:59 PM PST on Friday, February 7, 2014. The SPP Research Committee will review all applications and announce the award at the Spring SPP Meeting in San Diego, CA, in March. Consideration will be given to scientific merit and the background and career goals of the applicant. The award will be funded July 1, 2014.
All portions of the application must be completed. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Although Institutional Review Board (for human studies) or Animal Care Committee (for animal studies) approval will be required before the award is funded, such approval can be deferred until after an initial funding decision has been made.
A complete application includes ALL of the following:
- Cover Sheet (Please click to download: MS Word
- Research Proposal (limited to 5 pages, excluding references), to include:
- Specific aims
- Background and significance
- Preliminary data, if available (not required)
- Research design and methods
- Itemized budget (limited to 1 page)
- Applicant's biosketch (NIH format)
- Personal Statement (limited to 1 page) - The applicant should indicate how the proposed research project fits with his/her personal career goals
- Sponsor's letter of support (if applicant is not an SPP member)
- Letter of support from Chairperson or appropriate institutional representative which should indicate that adequate resources are available at the applicant's institution to support the proposed project and the salary support that will be provided for the applicant
Please submit all components of the application electronically as a single .pdf file to email@example.com. No hard copy submission is necessary.
Additional inquires can be directed to:
Jason Jarzembowski, MD, PhD
Chair, SPP Research Committee
Submission Deadline: Friday, February 7, 2014, at 11:59 PM PST