Whether you are a Society for Pediatric Pathology (SPP) member or a visitor, we are glad you came to explore our site. This home page will let you know what is currently going on at the SPP, what has been added to the site, what new Meetings and Events have been listed, and what new Position ads have been recently posted. The Paediatric Pathology Society (PPS) comprises our European colleagues.
NOTE: Should you have any difficulties with the online registration, please
download the hardcopy membership application and either
mail or FAX the completed application to the address/FAX# on the form.
*Click here for the current watch list of journals.
All articles are in print. Please click the
PMID number at the end of each citation to see the abstract on PubMed.
DISCLAIMER: Articles are listed in this section for information purposes only. The SPP does not approve or endorse these articles, and the SPP is not responsible for their content.
This month's Journal Watch prepared by Gino Somers MBBS, BMedSc, PhD, FRCPA, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario.
Click here to download the February 2015 Journal Watch list
- Chisholm KM, Heerema-McKenney A. Fetal thrombotic vasculopathy: significance in liveborn children using proposed society for pediatric pathology diagnostic criteria. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Feb;39(2):274-80.
- Shillingford NM, Calicchio ML, Teot LA, et al. Villin immunohistochemistry is a reliable method for diagnosing microvillus inclusion disease. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Feb;39(2):245-50.
- Morita S, Furukawa S, Nishi K. Classification of contraction bands using immunohistochemistry. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2015 Mar;36(1):23-6.
- Reichel J, Chadburn A, Rubinstein PG, et al. Flow sorting and exome sequencing reveal the oncogenome of primary Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg cells. Blood. 2015 Feb 12;125(7):1061-72.
- Lee N, Moss WN, Yario TA, Steitz JA. EBV Noncoding RNA Binds Nascent RNA to Drive Host PAX5 to Viral DNA. Cell. 2015 Feb 12;160(4):607-18.
- Ruprecht V, Wieser S, Callan-Jones A, et al. Cortical contractility triggers a stochastic switch to fast amoeboid cell motility. Cell. 2015 Feb 12;160(4):673-85.
- Di Vito A, Mignogna C, Donato G. The mysterious pathways of cardiac myxomas: a review of histogenesis, pathogenesis and pathology. Histopathology. 2015 Feb;66(3):321-32.
- de Boer YS, van Nieuwkerk CM, Witte BI, et al. Assessment of the histopathological key features in autoimmune hepatitis. Histopathology. 2015 Feb;66(3):351-62.
- Ramani P, Nash R, Rogers CA. Aurora kinase A is superior to Ki67 as a prognostic indicator of survival in neuroblastoma. Histopathology. 2015 Feb;66(3):370-9.
- Kohashi K, Yamada Y, Hotokebuchi Y, et al. ERG and SALL4 expressions in SMARCB1/INI1-deficient tumors: a useful tool for distinguishingepithelioid sarcoma from malignant rhabdoid tumor. Hum Pathol. 2015 Feb;46(2):225-30.
- Hayes DN, Kim WY. The next steps in next-gen sequencing of cancer genomes. J Clin Invest. 2015 Feb;125(2):462-8.
- Caballero MT, Serra ME, Acosta PL, et al. TLR4 genotype and environmental LPS mediate RSV bronchiolitis through Th2 polarization. J Clin Invest. 2015 Feb;125(2):571-82.
- Yuan B, Pehlivan D, Karaca E, et al. Global transcriptional disturbances underlie Cornelia de Lange syndrome and related phenotypes. J Clin Invest. 2015 Feb;125(2):636-51.
- Wasserman JD, Novokmet A, Eichler-Jonsson C, et al. Prevalence and Functional Consequence of TP53 Mutations in Pediatric Adrenocortical Carcinoma: A Children's Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Feb 20;33(6):602-9.
- Carraro S, Giordano G, Pirillo P, et al. Airway metabolic anomalies in adolescents with bronchopulmonary dysplasia: new insights from the metabolomic approach. J Pediatr. 2015 Feb;166(2):234-239.
- Long SS. 50 years ago in the journal of pediatrics: the teratogenicity of maternal rubella. J Pediatr. 2015 Feb;166(2):250.
- Roadmap Epigenomics Consortium, Kundaje A, Meuleman W, Ernst J, et al. Integrative analysis of 111 reference human epigenomes. Nature. 2015 Feb 19;518(7539):317-30.
- Polak P, Karlić R, Koren A, et al. Cell-of-origin chromatin organization shapes the mutational landscape of cancer. Nature. 2015 Feb 19;518(7539):360-4.
- Lieu TA, Ray GT, Klein NP, Chung C, Kulldorff M. Geographic clusters in underimmunization and vaccine refusal. Pediatrics. 2015 Feb;135(2):280-9.
- Xiao Y, Zhou Y, Chen Y, et al. The expression of epithelial-mesenchymal transition-related proteins in biliary epithelial cells is associated with liver fibrosis in biliary atresia. Pediatr Res. 2015 Feb;77(2):310-5.
This month's Journal Watch prepared by Jefferson Terry, MD, PhD, FRCPC, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario.
Click here to download the January 2015 Journal Watch list
- Chitkara Y. Upfront Special Staining for Helicobacter pylori in Gastric Biopsy Specimens Is Not Indicated. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jan;143(1):84-8.
- Tanner SM, Berryhill TF, Ellenburg JL, et al. Pathogenesis of Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Modeling the Innate Immune Response. Am J Pathol. 2015 Jan;185(1):4-16.
- Tsukahara T, Watanabe K, Watanabe T, et al. Tumor Necrosis Factor α Decreases Glucagon-Like Peptide-2 Expression by Up-Regulating G-Protein-Coupled Receptor 120 in Crohn Disease. Am J Pathol. 2015 Jan;185(1):185-96.
- Milner JD, Vogel TP, Forbes L, et al. Early-onset lymphoproliferation and autoimmunity caused by germline STAT3 gain-of-function mutations. Blood. 2015 Jan 22;125(4):591-9.
- Perez-Andreu V, Roberts KG, Xu H, et al. A genome-wide association study of susceptibility to acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adolescents and young adults. Blood. 2015 Jan 22;125(4):680-6.
- Gittleman HR, Ostrom QT, Rouse CD, et al. Trends in central nervous system tumor incidence relative to other common cancers in adults, adolescents, and children in the United States, 2000 to 2010. Cancer. 2015 Jan 1;121(1):102-12.
- Messinger YH, Stewart DR, Priest JR, et al. Pleuropulmonary blastoma: A report on 350 central pathology-confirmed pleuropulmonary blastoma cases by the International Pleuropulmonary Blastoma Registry. Cancer. 2015 Jan 15;121(2):276-85.
- Tamplin OJ, Durand EM, Carr LA, et al. Hematopoietic stem cell arrival triggers dynamic remodeling of the perivascular niche. Cell. 2015 Jan 15;160(1-2):241-52.
- Worthley DL, Churchill M, Compton JT, et al. Gremlin 1 identifies a skeletal stem cell with bone, cartilage, and reticular stromal potential. Cell. 2015 Jan 15;160(1-2):269-84.
- Huch M, Gehart H, van Boxtel R, et al. Long-term culture of genome-stable bipotent stem cells from adult human liver. Cell. 2015 Jan 15;160(1-2):299-312.
- Frazier AL, Hale JP, Rodriguez-Galindo C, et al. Revised risk classification for pediatric extracranial germ cell tumors based on 25 years of clinical trial data from the United kingdom and United States. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Jan 10;33(2):195-201.
- Suarez F, Mahlaoui N, Canioni D, et al. Incidence, presentation, and prognosis of malignancies in ataxia-telangiectasia: a report from the French national registry of primary immune deficiencies. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Jan 10;33(2):202-8.
- Federico SM, Allewelt HB, Spunt SL, et al. Subsequent malignant neoplasms in pediatric patients initially diagnosed with neuroblastoma. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2015 Jan;37(1):e6-e12.
- Downey LC, O'Shea TM, Allred EN, et al. Antenatal and early postnatal antecedents of parent-reported attention problems at 2 years of age. J Pediatr. 2015 Jan;166(1):20-25.e1.
- Heissat S, Collardeau-Frachon S, Baruteau J, et al. Neonatal Hemochromatosis: Diagnostic Work-Up Based on a Series of 56 Cases of Fetal Death and Neonatal Liver Failure. J Pediatr. 2015 Jan;166(1):66-73.
- Hopkins PV, Campbell C, Klug T, et al. Lysosomal storage disorder screening implementation: findings from the first six months of full population pilot testing in Missouri. J Pediatr. 2015 Jan;166(1):172-7.
- Acker SN, Mandell EW, Sims-Lucas S, et al. Histologic identification of prominent intrapulmonary anastomotic vessels in severe congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr. 2015 Jan;166(1):178-83.
- Kopp LM, Hu C, Rozo B, White-Collins A, et al. Utility of bone marrow aspiration and biopsy in initial staging of Ewing sarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2015 Jan;62(1):12-5.
- Chen CM, Chou HC, Huang LT. Maternal nicotine exposure during gestation and lactation induces kidney injury and fibrosis in rat offspring. Pediatr Res. 2015 Jan;77(1-1):56-63.
- Robinson DT, Caplan MS. Linking fat intake, the intestinal microbiome, and necrotizing enterocolitis in premature infants. Pediatr Res. 2015 Jan;77(1-2):121-126.
- Jacob J, Kamitsuka M, Clark RH, et al. Etiologies of NICU Deaths. Pediatrics. 2015 Jan;135(1):e59-65.
- Kaatsch P, Häfner C, Calaminus G, et al. Pediatric germ cell tumors from 1987 to 2011: incidence rates, time trends, and survival. Pediatrics. 2015 Jan;135(1):e136-43.
- Tomasetti C, Vogelstein B. Cancer etiology. Variation in cancer risk among tissues can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions. Science. 2015 Jan 2;347(6217):78-81.
- Uhlén M, Fagerberg L, Hallström BM, et al. Proteomics. Tissue-based map of the human proteome. Science. 2015 Jan 23;347(6220):1260419.
Click here for previous journal watch listings.
Late fall greetings! The SPP 2015 Spring Meeting will be held at the Boston Marriott Copley Place, Boston, MA, on March 21 and 22, 2015. Abstract submission is now open. You can submit your abstract by clicking here. Abstract submission will close on Thursday, November 20, 2014, at 11:59 P.M. Central Time. Housing and transportation information is available by clicking here.
By all accounts the Fall Joint Meeting of PPS and SPP, held September 4 through 6, 2014, at Birmingham UK was very successful. Congratulations to all of the SPP Award winners announced at the meeting. Award winners are listed in the most recent report from Fusun Gundogan of the Distinctions and Awards Committee, which can be viewed by clicking here. If I may, I would like to offer a special tip of the hat to Bahig Shehata for winning the Harry B. Neustein Memorial Award for an unprecedented third time (2008, 2010, and 2014).
Robert E Ruiz
SPP Website Editor
Questions and comments about website
content can be directed to the website editor. Technical concerns can be directed to the